Hello all,
The decision to become a doctor is easy to make, but not easy to achieve. It is a big challenge for my personality, and it is something me and my parents will be proud of. I would like to start my monolog with some ideas about why I decided to follow this route and what, I think, I will get after my goal is reached.
Since my university, I never thought about myself being somehow associated with science. I didn’t think I was smart enough to be able to solve complicated problems, be able to spend a large amount of time working on a big challenge, be able to understand fundamental science. But time goes and I started to involve myself in big challenges, I was able to somehow be employed by the largest IT company in the world, was able to write my own book and got a contract with one of the most known publishers in IT industry… Somehow, I got addicted to making new challenges for myself, learning something new every day. This change in my character I would call the main driver in my decision and willing to become a professor.
My professional goals are to be helpful for the company I work for, make as much positive impact as I can. It is important, I think, for people to see how much time and effort you invest in your own education and career. Having a doctoral degree, the top level of academic education is one of the best ways to make a personal “jump” in terms of education and self-realization. It also shows other people the results of your effort. Currently, I’m working hard to move into a managerial position. For this type of role, recognition from other people, including academic degrees, is important.
I work in the cybersecurity space, my work is directly related to threat hunting, forensics, and ethical hacking. It is not possible to know everything in this area of IT security, you should always learn and will to know more. For me, the doctoral program is a great way to learn more and contribute to the body of knowledge. I plan to use this degree to achieve my career goals, become a more trusted advisor, and get a little bit more “by default” trust, even when people do not know you personally. I would like, in the future, to become a lecturer in a university, to share my knowledge with students. I do have experience in authoring and teaching IT courses to people and this experience should help me in my willingness to become a teacher in university.
Speaking about research interests, I did have a great and, at the same time, very challenging, opportunity to write my own book based on research I did. My research was concentrated in the area of deep technical (process, thread, named pipe, etc.) analysis of event traces and logs in the Windows operating system. There was no material available in public space to cover all technical aspects of what happened in Windows when potentially malicious action was performed. I spent one year researching Windows source code, making experiments, tests, and simulations to find all, even a little bit related, signs of such actions in this operating system. I put the results of my research in my book, which was published recently.
Currently, I’m interested in researching anomaly behavior detection within complex multi-step scenarios, involving deep machine learning techniques. The huge uncovered undocumented area lies behind Event Tracing for Windows (ETW). IT is a very complicated and hard-to-understand subsystem, which may open very important information about some actions done by malicious users and processes. Security researchers, software developers, project managers, Security Operations Center (SOC) analysts, ethical hackers, and many other types of professions will be interested in such deep technical knowledge. I work with such scenarios every day and currently already doing initial research in this area.
This blog will be about my Doctoral journey and my ideas.
Thank you,
Andrei
Comments
Post a Comment